The coronavirus is manifested by a total of 17 different symptoms, and each patient has an average of seven symptoms lasting 12 days, according to a large study by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). According to their study, the most common manifestations of the disease are cough, fatigue, headache and shortness of breath.
– The examination was performed in the period from 14 to 21 days of testing and it was found that patients showed a total of 17 symptoms, each of which has an average of seven symptoms. Most, 71 per cent, had fatigue, 61 per cent cough and headache, and other common symptoms include fever, body aches, loss of smell and taste, shortness of breath… The longest lasting symptoms are cough, fatigue and shortness of breath, and the shortest fever and fever, the study said. The data also show that almost two-thirds of patients beat the corona after a maximum of 12 days and that this number of days represents the average duration of the disease.
– Some lost symptoms after only five days, and 65 percent were without any manifestations of the disease after 12 days, and that number is the average duration of Covid 19 disease. However, 35 percent of respondents showed some symptoms even after two weeks. Among them, every second patient is older than 50 years, every fifth between 16 and 34 years and every third between 35 and 50 years – the research found. Studies have also shown which concurrent diseases are most at risk for the coronary artery.
Most patients with severe symptoms were those with high blood pressure, followed by obesity, psychiatric illness, asthma, and diabetes. Epidemiologist Dr. Nikola Milenkovic says that research is being conducted in Nis, which is in line with world research, where a group of doctors and health professionals who have studied Covid 19 has been brought.
– Our initial results roughly coincide with the results of the CDC, those that later had a more severe clinical picture, had longer consequences. The research is reduced to three months after the study, however, in relation to the CDC research, we most often complain of fatigue. So, they have a drop in energy, it is harder to climb stairs, and that is what most often occurs as a consequence of the virus. In second place is the loss of breath, they have a loss of breath, an irritating cough that still remains in them.
However, our research shows that we have a smaller number of people, about 30 percent of those who seem to have some difficulties, the reason may be that our health professionals generally had milder symptoms, did not have a severe clinical picture that would leave consequences – he explains epidemiologist. What further research shows is that the younger population recovered faster by the age of 30 and that they experienced no sequelae a week or two after recovery. The elderly population, on the other hand, over the age of 50 complains more about chronic attacks.
– We are currently conducting research on the duration of immunity in terms of the degree of clinical picture, so far some of our preliminary research shows that the duration of immunity is longer in those who had a more severe clinical picture. We associate it with a larger amount of infectious agent, ie that the body has fought harder and that at the moment there are more than those memory cells in the body – says Dr. Milenkovic.
When you become infected with the corona, the average incubation period is five to six days, with a maximum period of up to 14 days, but the disease can last much longer, up to four weeks. Although people are most contagious when they have symptoms (similar to seasonal flu symptoms – fever, sneezing, coughing), there are indications that some people can transmit the virus even though they have no symptoms or before symptoms appear, which is not uncommon with other viral symptoms. infections. However, what worries some who have already had a coronavirus is why they have been positive for a long time, even a month or longer.
The answer was given by the doctors from their experience, who explained that the reason for a positive test could be the large presence of the virus in the body, or the remnants of the virus give a positive test. Prof. Dr. Goran Stanojevic, a doctor with experience in treating the coronavirus and one of the coordinators of Covid Hospitals in Nis, explains that the virus usually lasts for two weeks, but that in his practice he has encountered cases where patients have been infected for longer than that period. and with a milder or asymptomatic clinical picture.
– There are different reasons, but most often it is a consequence of the reaction of the organism itself, that it is in the so-called coexistence with the virus. The patient passes with certain symptoms, everything is fine, it heals after 14 days, but even after that period, the test is still positive. So, the person feels healed, but he is still a potential carrier – explains Dr. Stanojevic. Even after 14 days, the virus can still be found in the throat and throat, where the swab is taken, and sometimes it takes time to disappear completely. Although there are no rules, some indicators suggest that it lasted longer in those with a milder clinical picture.
– When the patient has a milder clinical picture, and even no symptoms, he takes multivitamin therapy and should remain isolated until he receives a negative test. At my place in the “Chair” hall in Nis, where we had patients with a milder clinical picture or even people without any symptoms, we noticed that sometimes they get a negative test for the fifth time. It used to make people nervous because they feel good, but they still have the virus in them. That is why it is very important to wait for it to disappear completely. Reading the results of studies from other countries, this does not happen only in our country, there are examples from other countries where patients are positive for a long time – says Dr. Stanojevic.